I found out today that Sam is having a pond week at school so I thought it would be great to extend that learning at home and give her a pond themed week at home as well.
My brain is bursting with ideas for our week :
- week long craft project to create a LARGE pond with lots of different types of objects and materials
- pond clean up
- kayaking on a pond
- books about ponds
- pond animals
- fishing trip
So, first thing tomorrow we will head to the library to find some good pond books. I thought I would share the list of books that I am hoping to find. Just in case any of you are hitting up the library first thing tomorrow too and would want to read along with us.
Here is out list (the first two we have read before and I can already strongly recommend, the rest will be new to us and will let you know if I recommend them later in the week):
- In the Small, Small Pond by Denis Fleming
- Pond Circle by Betsy Franco
- Science in Seconds at the Beach by Jean Potter
- Jo MacDonald Saw a Pond by Mary Quattlebaum and Laura Bryant
- A Freshwater Pond by Adam Hibbert
- Song of the Waterboatman and other pond poems by Joyce Sidman and Beckie Prange
- It's A Frog's Life by Steve Parker, Robert Morton, et al.
- Box Turtle at Long Pond by William George and Lindsay George
- Turtle Splash! Countdown at the Pond by Cathryn Falwell
Be sure to stop back by often this week to see how our theme week is going! AND help us out with more ideas for fun and learning by entering the pond themed Link up! It starts today and will run for only a week so be sure to get your link up and share any posts you have that relate to freshwater ponds!