Our outdoor time this week has been all about getting the gardens ready! I am a HUGE believer in having my kids help me out in the garden and getting them involved in all stages of keeping our gardens healthy and looking nice.
So this week we re-worked some of our erosion prevention trench.
Then we created our brand new strawberry patch!
We had to rake bake the landscaping mulch, pull up the weed prevention sheet and then level out the area. We put in some new stones to create a little walkway and then placed the landscape logs to make it look nice! We still have to add stakes and a rabbit fence but that will happen after we get the plants in the ground next week.
We also had to do a little work in our veggie garden.
We had to work the soil a bit, add some of our homemade compost to the soil and then we actually planted two different kinds of onions already! Again the fence still needs to be added to this garden as well (rabbits and the neighbors dogs would eat all of our produce if we didn't put up fences!) but that can wait till the plants are up a bit more.
Sorry there are no in progress pictures of the girls helping me work but we were pretty muddy this week and that is not conducive to having the camera out there with us!
It is awesome how the chores that I see as work instantly becomes play when my kids are involved! Yes, they make the projects a bit more messy but WAY more fun!
This Week's Feature!
Love this idea from Train Up a Child and I can't wait to try it out this summer. Building with Ice Cubes
And you have to go over to the original post and check out what tool her kiddos used to experiment with ice melting!! This mom kind of rocks my world!
On to the Party!
A few guidelines for the party...
- Any kind of children's outdoor play-related posts are welcome!
- If you'd like us to further share your post (e.g., on Facebook/ Twitter/ Pinterest), please just include a link back to this post (either in your post or sidebar) to help us spread the word about the importance (and fun!) of outdoor play!
- Please feel free to grab the Outdoor Play Party button from the sidebar and/or include a text link back.
- Each time we will feature an activity from the previous party.
- By contributing you are giving permission for an image and link to your post to be republished.